Friday, July 09, 2010

Michelle Wie says "Tomorrow is a Whole New Day" at U.S. Open

Here is the Michelle Wie transcript after an apparent first round golf meltdown at the U.S. Women's Open. At least Wie remains positive and when you are positive there is still hope!

Will Michelle Wie make the cut? Oakmont is not allowing for easy scoring and the current projected cut is +11!

MICHELLE WIE
Q. You found yourself 8 over after eight holes. Must be dejecting. What do you say to yourself? It's not easy to make birdies and make up that ground.

MICHELLE WIE: Oh, yeah, it's like I'm playing fantastic right now. It's a great day. But, I felt a little better. Hopefully tomorrow will be a lot better.

Q. What are the things you need to improve on tomorrow?
MICHELLE WIE: Everything. (Laughing.)

Q. That's a tall order.
MICHELLE WIE: Hopefully I can pull it off.

Q. What kind of positives can you take away from today?
MICHELLE WIE: Positives? You know, I'm trying to find 'em. You know, just had a couple of good shots out there. I say a couple. Not many. But hopefully tomorrow will be a whole new day and hopefully I'll play a lot better.

Q. It's a tough not to get frustrated?

MICHELLE WIE: I was trying not to today. It's kind of one of those days where nothing goes as planned. But, you know, I felt better coming in, so tomorrow hopefully start off on the right foot.
Try and make up for a couple birdies and try and have a good weekend.

Q. Was it more your game or more the golf course that was troublesome?

MICHELLE WIE: Oh, it was definitely my game. I didn't play well at all today.

Q. You missed a lot of fairways.
MICHELLE WIE: Yeah, you can't really do that. Mostly I think it was just the putting that got me. You know, I felt like my irons were good. My wedges were good. I just need to put it in the fairways so I can hit those.

Q. (Indiscernible) After that, how do you settle yourself down?

MICHELLE WIE: There was nothing I could do. You know, I try my hardest and things didn't really work out. I just try to move forward.

Q. You played better on the back. Does that give you any hope for tomorrow, you know, a little bit of momentum going into tomorrow?
MICHELLE WIE: Tomorrow is a whole new day. I'm just going to go out there and try to shoot my best.



The U.S. Women's Open First Round Notes and Transcripts for the following golfers can be found here.  
Brittany Lang, -2
M.J. Hur, -1
Amy Yang, -1
Inbee Park, -1
Mhairi McKay, E
Sakura Yokomine, E
Cristie Kerr, +1
Paula Creamer, +1
Kristy McPherson, +1
Song-Hee Kim, +1

Eun-Hee Ji, +6



NOTABLE TEE TIMES:

Morning tee times
7:00 a.m.         (a) Kelli Shean*, (a) Jaye Marie Green, Esther Choe(# 1 tee)
7:33 a.m.         Natalie Gulbis, Inbee Park*, Pat Hurst (# 1 tee)
7:33 a.m.         Stacy Lewis, Amy Yang*, Alexis Thompson (# 10 tee)
7:44 a.m.         Juli Inkster, Jee Young Lee, Christina Kim (# 1 tee)
7:44 a.m.         Cristie Kerr, Yani Tseng, Anna Nordqvist (# 1 tee)
8:06 a.m.         M.J. Hur*, Helen Alfredsson, Katherine Hull (# 10 tee)
8:28 a.m.         Brittany Lang*, Momoko Ueda, Seon Hwa Lee (# 10 tee)
Afternoon tee times
12:30 p.m.       Mhairi McKay*, Brittany Altomare, Charlotte Majorkas (#1 tee)
1:03 p.m.         Ai Miyazato, Jiyai Shin, Michelle Wie (# 1 tee)
1:03 p.m.         Morgan Pressel, Maria Hjorth, Candie Kung (# 10 tee)
1:14 p.m.         Angela Stanford, Suzann Pettersen, Paula Creamer (# 1 tee)
1:14 p.m.         Brittany Lincicome, Sakura Yokomine*, Heekyung Seo (# 10 tee)



Interesting to see Ai Miyazato paired with Michelle Wie and that Wie already started Round 2 with a bogey!

MICHELLE WIE Live Scoring


Rnd 2
 Rnd 1# 39 43 82
 Status +12 +12
ROUND 2



No comments: