Friday, March 08, 2019

Is Your Driver To Blame for Lack of Distance or Is It You?

Both driver and golf swing can be to blame for lack of distance off of the tee ...here's why.

During the course of a conversation with my teaching pro, Dale, I mentioned that I need to find ways to increase my driving distance. I am just not getting enough length off of the tee to put me into striking distance for more birdie opportunities. 

We investigated my golf swing and yes, my kinematic sequence is off so I am practicing driving more from my legs but there also seems to be a problem with the length of my driver shaft.

Dale measured me - and my Callaway X2 Hot driver - and found that my driver shaft is too long - Dale is about 6'2" and his driver shaft measures out at approximately 1 1/2 inches shorter than mine!

What impact can a too-long driver have on the average golfer?

According to Dale, and to PGA Tour professional Bubba Watson, the length of your driver can affect your distance off of the tee. Where you might think that the longer the shaft the more distance off of the tee, the opposite is true.
"Trying a longer shaft is a popular suggestion these days, but most players should, if anything, try a shaft half an inch shorter than what's in their driver. (The average, off-the-rack driver shaft today is 45½ inches)", writes Bubba Watson.
 "Tiger Woods at his longest used a relatively short 43½-inch driver, with a steel shaft to boot. You'll find it easier to hit the sweet spot with a shorter shaft, and you can go after tee shots without losing much control."

 What else can you do to a driver in order to get more distance?

Golf instructors believe that a higher lofted driver will increase your launch angle and provide you with more carry and roll.

Where these two factors (shaft length and loft) should help improve distance with your driver, it is also important to have a teaching professional look at your golf swing as the problems may not lie with your driver but with your angle of attack.

According to PGA Pro Mark Crossfield, "the way you deliver the club to the ball also has a massive effect on launch and spin."


Is it your driver or is it you? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section of this golf blog and on Twitter @Golf4Beginners.

No comments: