Friday, July 04, 2014

Ping Karsten Irons - Hybrids #Golf Club Review

Forgive me but I am not perfect! Founder Karsten Solheim must have been watching a bit of my golf game from above when Ping released the irons - hybrids that bear it's founders name.

Rated Gold on many a golf hotlist, and rightfully so, the newest release from Ping offers unbelievable forgiveness which should make it a top golf club on any beginners' "must-try" list...male and female!

This may sound like an advertisement but trust me, it is not. With a honed down choice of three different golf club manufacturers - Titleist, Callaway and Ping - while being custom fit by PGA Tour Superstore, I swung away, watching the flight of the ball on the screen basing my decision on several different factors:

1. Weight of the club in my hands
2. Look of the club (it's got to be something you want to swing)
3. Trajectory and flight of the golf ball (not so much the path of the ball as that could very well be fault in my swing)

Naturally not all clubs are designed for all swings. I currently own a Titleist 905T driver and Titleist 904F fairway woods so I wanted to test their comparable irons...fair enough...although I did have a set of 804's in my distant past. As deciding upon a new set of irons is also a very personal decision, Titleist just did not suit my swing and I didn't feel comfortable with the Callaway irons either.

It has been several weeks since I received my Ping Karsten irons and hybrids.


I have been playing on an executive golf course once per week, trying to pull each club out of my bag several times during each round. Here is my current assessment of the Karsten irons/hybrids performance.

My ball distance and consistency has definitely improved...by about ten yards per iron! The arc of each golf ball hit is high and I don't get many "rollers".

Ping lingo for why this happens is, "Longer distance comes from precision-engineered loft and club length progressions paired with wide soles and a deep center of gravity. The Custom Tuning Port reinforces the thinner face to increase ball velocity for greater distance and higher ball flights for stopping power."

My club fitter decided that my Karsten Irons should be custom built with the KS 401 Regular Shaft - 64 grams of weight with a mid-high launch angle...perfect for my game. He also measured the lie of the club to make sure the club head was flat at address. The grips were also changed to fit my smaller female grasp.

Measurements by computer and by human hands are just some of the reasons why you need to get custom fit for your clubs.

I may sound like a broken record but, again, I will never buy another golf club without being custom fit...the results are making a world of difference in my game.

In my opinion, Ping Karsten Irons deliver on their claims - distance, forgiveness and consistency and are a perfect fit for me!

Have Questions About Being Custom fit for Your Golf Clubs? Ask @PGATSS with hashtag #PGATSSCustomFit

Do you have a set of Ping Golf Clubs? My husband still has his Ping Eye2's (black dot)! Tell us about it on Twitter @Golf4Beginners or write a comment on this Golf for Beginners blog.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wintergreen


Hancey Turf is a premier Turf Supplier and also provides a various turfing solution to make your home lawns and sports ground better. Website: www.hanceysturf.com.au

Contact information:

Phone number: 1800 761 334, 0439 306 616
E-mail: sales@hanceysturf.com.au

Unknown said...

Many people consider it as desire to become a golf pro. But I think that few good golf tips can really enhance your skills and will definitely give you a start. You simply need to develop patience and confidence in yourself.

Unknown said...

Within your golfing posture get ready as you'd when starting your golf swing. Now, glide both hands straight down to the golf club shaft, at the receiving end of the club sticking a bit with your waist. Please take a number of practice swings. This is a perfect tip for tall golfers to master skills of swing. I am practicing the same technique and i am happy with the result. However, if you are looking for some more golf swing tips, then you can check the videos of professionals on Internet. Thanks!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I am looking for a set of irons as a novice. I have been playing for the past month with a set of hand-me-down women's clubs and to my surprise, the pro shop informed me that men's clubs would be a better option for me (also, my current clubs are too short for me at 5'8"). This article really helped me to narrow down my choices when it comes time in the next few weeks to pull the trigger and buy a new set. Do you use the steel or graphite shafts? How fast is your swing speed? Mine is slow right now but it's a work in progress...

Unknown said...

They are easy to hit, very forgiving, launch the ball high and give you a bit of added spin and control.
This is definitely a set you should look at if you're new to the game. The G10s would be a good choice to try if you're looking for your first set of irons, they do make the game of golf easier. best golf carts reviews

Anonymous said...

I will try a new Carsten 3 Hybrid end of this week. Why is it not "written" the loft on the club head? Anyway, exiting.

jesy said...

Thanks for this best idea