Both the Puerto Rico Open and the WGC-CA Championships are being played this week but Doral doesn't quite hold the same "mystique" as in previous years.
With Tiger Woods opting out of another event on the PGA Tour schedule, fans need excitement and the Puerto Rico Open is an event ready to comply!
Here are just a few reasons to tune in to the 2010 Puerto Rico Open this week:
1. This is the only stop on the PGA Tour that lands in Puerto Rico. In 2009, forty-two year-old Michael Bradley landed an 11-foot birdie putt to seal the deal at the 18th hole on Trump International Golf Club. He will be in the field to defend his win.
2. John Daly received a sponsor's exemption. Expect the Lion's clothes to match his colorful spirit. As he said on Twitter, "Changing out grips and Gettin Ready for a great Week at the Puerto Rico Open."
3. Check out some of Latin America's finest players: Rafael Campos, Max Alverio and Erick Morales. The PGA Tour is not all about Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Steve Stricker, now is it?
4. Champions Tour golfers Tom Pernice Jr. and Fred Funk will be in the field. Let's watch Funk's return after knee surgery I don't think Vijay Singh ever really recovered, do you?
Tom Kite, the course designer of Trump International GC, among other great golfers, will also be in the field.
5. Trump International Golf Club, at 7,526 yards, is one of the longest on the PGA Tour. Scores have been so close in the previous two years of the event which leads to dramatic thrills on the 18th green. Views of El Yunque Rain Forest and the Atlantic Ocean are breathtaking!
Puerto Rico is a 3,350 square mile Commonwealth of the USA. Watching this stop on the PGA Tour may just give you the desire to visit the Shining Star of the Caribbean!
The Golf Channel will cover the event from Thursday through Sunday. Check your local listings.
Golf for Beginners will also be on hand in Puerto Rico! Follow along with Golf4Beginners and PuertoRicoOpen on Twitter!
Surely you cannot miss Chi-Chi Rodriguez smacking his ceremonial first tee shot! I wonder if he'll be swinging his golf club like a sword...